Cracking on

Week 3

Day 15


Saturday mornings mean one thing these days, PARKRUN!




I was determined to get my sub 30 today, but I started out close to the back again. Not on purpose, I actually thought I was near the front, then I looked behind me and realised actually there was only about 10 people behind me.


I ran as fast as my little legs could take me, I was overtaking people all over the place. I was running fast but felt strong. I overtook a child and thought I would leave her in my dust.


She thought otherwise and sped past me. I never caught back up with her. I choked on her dust.

Strava gave me a time of 30m 45s; Parkrun gave me a time of 31m 01s. I’m not sure which one to trust but Strava is recorded on my phone, Parkrun is in an email so on that logic I am obviously going with the quicker time.


Walkies was next on the agenda and another trip to Clymping Dog Sanctuary to volunteer to walk a dog. This time it was Stuffing’s turn. He was an absolute dream to walk, it was so nice not having a dog that pulled my arm out every 10 seconds.


The best news today though was hearing that King had been re-homed. I even got one last glimpse of him heading off with his new owners. I hope he has a happy, long, life in his new forever home.





Day 16 


Running on empty is literally the worst thing to do. I was a like yea, I’ll be fine, two bites of a banana should do it for a 6k run.


No, no, no!


I have read stories of people on race days that don’t eat. That is just stupid!  I was nearly sick, I wanted to collapse, and I smiled at other runners as I passed them and tried to cover up the look of despair in my eyes. But they saw. I know they did.


So never again. Porridge is my best friend before a run and I will never be so ignorant again.


I applied for another volunteer role today at Brent Lodge Wildlife Hospital helping out occasionally. I was thinking I have signed myself up for quite a lot lately but with all of the different things it is only an hour or so when I can.


The good deeds I am doing are good for me as I get to do things I enjoy while doing something positive at the same time and that is what volunteering is all about, finding something you enjoy while also doing some good too.






Day 17



Not every run needs to be a race. Some of the best runs are when you forget about looking at the time and worrying about your pace and just enjoy where you are.


I stopped about 4 times today, the first time I picked up my pace to make up for the 10 seconds I stopped, then I stopped again and again and again.


It was just such a beautiful day I didn’t want to forget it, thanks to the 30 pictures I took; I definitely won’t forget it in a hurry!


My good deed was writing a postcard to residents at a care home as park of #postcardsofkindness. The idea is to write a postcard to residents of care homes to bring some joy and start conversations.


I sent a postcard of Brighton pier and asked if they have a favourite pier and a few other questions. I hope to trigger some good memories for people which maybe they haven’t thought about for a while.




Day 18


Rest day.


Those two words scare the hell out of me.


This challenge is 1k and a good deed a day and it is not always about running but not running for a day on a nice day like today feels like a travesty!


However in order to keep going forward, I know I do need to take a break every now and then so I have put together 5 reasons to have a rest day:


1.       Denial can be a really useful tool. When you deny yourself something, you tend to want it more. Take chocolate for example, if I took it away from you, you would want it more than you have ever wanted anything. So by giving yourself a rest day (or denying yourself your run), you will want it even more. Bring on tomorrow!



2.       Taking point 1 into consideration, having a rest day will make you want to work harder on the next run. You could try adding that extra minute or KM you have been thinking about. Go on you can do it!



3.       Everyone needs a little break and a day off every now and then, you don’t need to put too much pressure on yourself. Run for you, run when you want, how you want and rest when you want. It is all about you.



4.       Your body needs time to recover and repair. Give your poor legs a break, and if you are craving exercise do an arm workout. Enjoy the burn of some other muscles.



5.       The extra time not running can be spent wisely- sort out a new banging playlist for your next run and just appreciate the day.



Enjoy your rest day!!



Good deed today. I signed a petition to end period plastic which is basically calling on companies that manufacture period products to stop using plastic in their products.


The petition begins:


Conventional period products contain up to 90% plastic and are constantly being manufactured, used for between 4-8 hours, disposed of and then take over 500 years to break down! That's over 7 times the average lifetime of the person using them, meaning if Jane Austen had used them they would still be decomposing today! 

They can enter rivers and oceans and end up on beaches. In fact, a report by the European Commission found that period items are the fifth most common waste washed up on beaches!

This happens when they are incorrectly flushed down toilets, and shockingly 2.5 million tampons, 1.4 million pads and 700,000 panty liners are flushed in the UK every single day!



If you want to sign the petition too: Change.org






Day 19


Oh dear, one rest day might have become two. PJ’s and dressing gown are on and with the freezing temperature tonight it would be criminal to take them off. I am doing my 1k walks still, but I’m not logging it on Strava as I want to keep the KM’s on there just for running. But if you want to give me a round of applause please feel free to do it now, and also do one for yourself just because why not. You got through the day.


Today was a really special day, I went to Radio Respect in Bognor and did my first show as a solo presenter. My stomach was doing summersaults, but I was really happy to be promoting and helping such a worthwhile charity.


I am starting Brekkie with Becky from next week. I will be live every Wednesday from 7am until 10am. If you would like to listen, just log onto the website. Past shows are on there too so it is well worth a listen.


I left with such a feeling of accomplishment after and I was actually beaming. Mental health issues affect almost everyone and to have a place to just, be, is so important.


My good deed today was buying an extra ticket for parking for someone to find in a car park. I’m not going to lie, it wasn’t intentional. I accidently bought 2 hours worth of parking when I needed 3 so I tucked the ticket back in the machine for someone to find. I hope they did else literally threw away money into a parking ticket machine for no reason.




Day 20 


11k a new personal record for furthest distance although Strava didn’t care!


I wanted a little virtual medal, ‘well done for not quitting!’ but no. Whatever. I did it and felt quite good after, I thought about carrying on but didn’t want to be too keen.


Again I took it at a leisurely pace and stopped at the outdoor gym on the seafront for a few arm exercises. It Bloody hurt, who needs big biceps anyway?


It even hurt when I held the phone to my ear for my good deed. Today I have decided to organise a 5k walk for The Blue Cross, so I was chatting to someone about what I need to do. It’s time to get organising!




Day 21 


Still buzzing after starting to organise my charity event, there is a lot to do but I think I am going for a Christmas theme walk so I have a few months to put it all together.


I didn’t have time for a run today, well ok I did but chose to walk to the shops and do some charity shop shopping (rest days are a bit addictive). It is one of my favourite things to do, the things people give away- pretty much brand new- is brilliant.


So yes I am counting that as my selfish good deed for the day, charity shop shopping. I did also put a lot of change is charity pots as I went round too. It wasn’t completely all about me and my exciting new things, promise!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mile by mile: Half marathon thoughts...

Homefield Park run review

5 reasons to get outside and run right now